Kransekake (Norwegian Ring Cake)
- 8 ounces (2 cups) sliced blanched almonds
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 large egg whites
- Unsalted butter, softened, for molds
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar
- 3 large egg whites or 5 tablespoons meringue powder mixed with 1/2 cup water
- Paste or gel food coloring (optional)
- Step 1Dough: Place almonds in a food processor and process to form fine crumbs, about 2 minutes. Add sugar and salt and process until well combined and powder-like, about 1 minute. Add egg whites and process until a dough forms (it will have the texture of cookie dough). Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Step 2Preheat oven to 300°F with oven rack in the middle. Brush a set of 6 kransekake molds with butter. Divide dough in half. Working with one half of dough at a time, cut into small portions and roll into ropes that are slightly thicker than the diameter of a pencil (about 3/8-inch-to-1/2-inch thick). Fit ropes into rings of 3 molds, trimming to fit. Place molds on an unrimmed baking sheet and bake until puffed and lightly golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Step 3Transfer molds to a wire rack and let cool completely on baking sheet. Repeat shaping and baking process with remaining half of dough and remaining 3 molds. Carefully remove rings from molds.